Chartering Workshops for 2022-2023
Every student organization at UNM is required to recharter each fall unless the group chooses to go inactive. To recharter, two (2) officers from each group must attend a charter workshop. Officers are not required to attend on the same date. Your charter with UNM for the 2022 - 2023 academic year will conclude in mid-July. The deadline to charter and make the Guide to Student Organizations is September 16th, 2022. Student organizations may charter throughout the year, but no individual charter workshops will be scheduled until October 2022.
|Recharter||8/2/22||10-11am||Zoom, Register Here|
|Recharter||8/10/22||9-10am||SUB 1013, Register Here|
|Pharmacy School Orgs Only||8/12/22||Noon-1pm||Domenici Center North Wing Room 2720|
|Recharter||8/15/22||3-4pm||Zoom, Register Here|
|New Groups||8/17/22||1-2pm||SUB 1013, Register Here|
|New Groups||8/29/22||4-5pm||Dane Smith Hall room 143, Register Here|
|Law School Orgs Only||8/30/22||Noon-1pm|
Bratton Hall 2401
|Recharter||9/1/22||Noon - 1pm|
|Recharter||9/1/22||2-3pm||SUB 1013, Register Here|
|Recharter||9/6/22||11-12pm||Zoom, Register Here|
|HSC Orgs Only||9/6/22||3-4pm||Zoom, Register Here|
|Recharter||9/14/22||4-5pm||Zoom, Register Here|
|Recharter||9/16/22||Noon-1pm||Dane Smith Hall room 141, Register Here|
|New Charter/Recharter||10/12/22||4-5pm||Dane Smith Hall 143, Register Here|
|New Charter/Recharter||10/18/22||10-11am||Zoom, Register Here|
|New Charter/Recharter||10/27/22||4-5pm||Dane Smith Hall 143, Register Here|
|New Charter/Recharter||11/01/22||12-1pm||Zoom, Register Here|
|New Charter/Recharter||11/16/22||10-11am||Zoom, Register Here|
|New Charter/Recharter||11/29/22||2-3pm||Zoom, Register Here|
|New Charter/Recharter||1/18/23||10-11am||Zoom, Register Here|
|New Charter/Recharter||1/26/23||4-5pm||SUB 1013, Register Here|
|New Charter/Recharter||1/31/23||2-3pm||Zoom, Register Here|
|New Charter/Recharter||2/13/23||12-1pm||Zoom, Register Here|
|New Charter/Recharter||2/23/23||12-1pm||SUB 1013, Register Here|
Chartering leads to official recognition of the student organization by The University of New Mexico. As such, chartered student organizations are granted privileges including access to campus facilities, access to ASUNM and GPSA funding processes, and the ability to rent and checkout equipment from the Student Activities Center.
An organization may charter at any time of the year, however, all organizations must recharter every fall (after August 1st) regardless of when they chartered the previous year. Organizations that charter by the established fall deadline will be listed in the fall edition of the Guide to Chartered Student Organizations.
Chartering does not constitute an endorsement of an organization, its program or purposes by the University. Chartered student organizations are not covered under the State of New Mexico’s General Liability Policy.
*New groups that need time to gather interest before getting started can fill out and submit the Pre-Chartering Request Form.
Steps in the Chartering Process
The Student Activities Center sponsors chartering workshops in the fall and two officers are required to attend. Workshops are a brief review of the policies, procedures, and services available to chartered groups. Workshops typically run August through mid-September.
Complete the UNM Chartered Student Organization Form online. You will need to log in with your UNM email and password. Organizations must abide by the stipulations outlined on the form and in the Chartered Student Organization Policy. Your charter will not be complete until the Student Activities Center has received a completed online charter registration, with approved Constitution, and 2 officers have accepted membership in the online system. The administrator will receive an email upon charter approval.
Before starting the charter form, make sure you have the following information ready:
- Complete Name for the Organization (Do not begin name w/ The or UNM)
- Pick a Primary Category for the Organization: (Academic/Departmental, Ethnic/Cultural, Fraternity, Graduate, Honorary, Military, Political, Religious, Residence Hall, Service, Sorority, Special Interest, Sport/Recreation)
- Purpose Statement (300 words or less)
- Contact phone number and email address for the group
- Mailing Address (SAC Mailboxes are available for free use if available)
- Names and Positions of at least 2 Officers (if you are unable to find a student in the chartering directory, contact the Student Activities Center)
- Professional Staff Advisor Information: (Name, Affiliation, Job Title, Department, Mailing Address, Email and Phone Number)
- Composition of the Organization (Undergraduate, Graduate, Mixed)
- Enrollment Options (Open, Approve Applications, Invitation Only)
- Electronic Version of the local Constitution (and by-laws if you have them).
The online chartering system also allows you to provide additional information to share with prospective members. The optional information you are able to provide includes:
- Nickname or Acronym for your organization
- Secondary Category for the Organization
- Dues/Fees Charged by the Organization
- Website Link (For your organization)
- Additional Officers and Members
- Organization Logo (jpg form)
- Meeting Information
- Important website links (Headquarters, etc)
- Other Documents (Meeting Minutes, Flyers, etc)
One copy of a current constitution (and by-laws if you have them) must be submitted electronically with the chartering form. If your organization is affiliated with a national or international organization, you must submit a copy of your local chapter constitution (and bylaws). UNM does not recognize national level constitutions or by-laws. Remember to keep a copy for your own files. If you're not sure where to start, check out UNM's Student Organization Constitution Template.
Student Organization Handbook
Please refer to the Chartered Student Organization Handbook 2022 for a detailed guide for creating and managing student organizations.