Chartering leads to official recognition of the student organization by The University of New Mexico. As such, chartered student organizations are granted privileges including access to campus facilities, access to ASUNM and GPSA funding processes, and the ability to rent and checkout equipment from the Student Activities Center.
An organization may charter at any time of the year, however, all organizations must recharter every fall (after August 1st) regardless of when they chartered the previous year. Organizations who charter by the established fall deadline will be listed in the fall edition of the Guide to Chartered Student Organizations.
Chartering does not constitute an endorsement of an organization, its program or purposes by the University. Chartered student organizations are not covered under the State of New Mexico’s General Liability Policy.
Prechartering is an optional process that allows new groups to operate temporarily while they are working to complete the chartering process. Prechartering allows you to reserve meeting rooms and display tables free of charge in the Student Union Building, post notices and free use of SAC tables and chairs for tabling outdoors on campus. Prechartering Forms can be filed with the Student Activities Center. Prechartering is available for a limited period of time and is helpful in organizing a new group, recruiting new members, and publicizing activities.
Steps in the Chartering Process
The Student Activities Center sponsors chartering workshops in the fall and at least one officer (we encourage more) is required to attend. Workshops are a brief review of the policies, procedures, and services available to chartered groups. A demonstration of the online chartering program will also be given. Click Here for a schedule of workshops that typically run August through mid-September. If there are no more group workshops scheduled, please set up a personal workshop with the Student Activities Center.
Complete the UNM Chartered Student Organization Form online. You will need to log in with your UNM email and password. Organizations must abide by the stipulations outlined on the form and in the Chartered Student Organization Policy. Your charter will not be complete until the Student Activities Center has received a completed online charter registration, with approved Constitution, and 2 officers have accepted membership in the online system. The administrator will receive an email upon charter approval.
The online chartering system at sac.unm.edu does not allow you to save your progress as you complete the form so make sure you have the following pieces of information before you start:
- Complete Name for the Organization (Do not begin name w/ The or UNM)
- Pick a Primary Category for the Organization: (Academic/Departmental, Ethnic/Cultural, Fraternity, Graduate, Honorary, Military, Political, Religious, Residence Hall, Service, Sorority, Special Interest, Sport/Recreation)
- Purpose Statement (300 words or less)
- Contact phone number and email address for the group
- Mailing Address (SAC Mailboxes are available for free use if available)
- Names and Positions of at least 2 Officers (if you are unable to find a student in the chartering directory, contact the Student Activities Center)
- Professional Staff Advisor Information: (Name, Affiliation, Job Title, Department, Mailing Address, Email and Phone Number)
- Composition of the Organization (Undergraduate, Graduate, Mixed)
- Enrollment Options (Open, Approve Applications, Invitation Only)
- Electronic Version of the local Constitution (and by-laws if you have them).
The online chartering system also allows you to provide additional information to share with prospective members. The optional information you are able to provide includes:
- Nickname or Acronym for your organization
- Secondary Category for the Organization
- Dues/Fees Charged by the Organization
- Website Link (For your organization)
- Additional Officers and Members
- Organization Logo (jpg form)
- Meeting Information
- Important website links (Headquarters, etc)
- Other Documents (Meeting Minutes, Flyers, etc)
Contact the Student Activities Center (277-4706, SUB room 1018) if you can not log in or find other students in the chartering system directory. We can fix these problems and add students to the database quickly.
One copy of a current constitution (and by-laws if you have them) must be submitted electronically with the chartering form. If your organization is affiliated with a national or international organization, you must submit a copy of your local chapter constitution (and bylaws). UNM does not recognize national level constitutions or by-laws. Remember to keep a copy for your own files. If you're not sure where to start, check out UNM's Student Organization Constitution Template.
Chartering Workshops for 2019-2020
Every student organization at UNM is required to recharter each fall. If your group chartered at any time in the 2018-2019 academic year, at least one officer from your group must attend a re-chartering workshop. The workshop will take approximately 45 minutes and attendees must stay for the entire workshop. View the Re-Charter Checklist for things to prepare for in the rechartering process. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are late you will be asked to attend another workshop in the future. If you require disability accommodations to participate in a workshop, please contact the Student Activities Center seven days prior to the workshop date.
Group workshops are offered twice weekly from August 1st through September 15th. Between September 15th and July 31st, chartering workshops are scheduled on an as-needed basis once per month. Please note - workshop schedules and procedures may be adjusted for the 2020-2021 school year to comply with state and University policies regarding COVID-19.
Student Organization Handbook
Please refer to the Student Organization Handbook for a detailed guide for creating and managing student organizations.